On July 23, the Government announced the Employment Wage Subsidy Scheme (EWSS). This scheme provides a flat-rate subsidy to qualifying employers based on the numbers of paid and eligible employees on the employer’s payroll.
EWSS will replace the Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme (TWSS) from 1 September 2020 and is expected to continue until 21 March 2021.
The TWSS will finish on 31 August 2020 and no new applications can be accepted from that date. If an employee is already on the TWSS, they must stay on it until 31 August 2020. The two schemes will run in parallel from 1 July until the TWSS closes at the end of August.
Qualifying Criteria for Employers
In order to be eligible for the EWSS, employers must demonstrate that:
- their business will experience a 30% reduction in turnover or customer orders between 1 July and 31 December 2020; and
- the disruption is caused by COVID-19.
The reduction in turnover or customer orders is relative to:
- the same period in 2019 where the business was in existence prior to 1 July 2019;
- the date of commencement of a business to 31 December 2019; or
- where a business commenced after 1 November 2019, the projected turnover or customer orders had COVID-19 disruption not arisen.
Employers are required to conduct a monthly review to ensure they continue to meet the eligibility criteria under the EWSS. The EWSS will be administered by Revenue on a ‘self-assessment’ basis. The normal requirement to operate PAYE on all payments will be re-established under the EWSS however, a 0.5% rate of employers PRSI will continue to apply for employments that are eligible for the subsidy.
From 31 July:
- TWSS employers can claim for non-TWSS employees (new hires) under the new EWSS.
- Non-TWSS employers, who have not previously availed of TWSS, will only be eligible to apply for the EWSS.
EWSS support will be backdated to 1 July for eligible employers who did not qualify for the TWSS.
|Employee gross weekly wages||Subsidy payable|
|Less than €151.50||Nil|
|From €151.50 to €202.99||€151.50|
|More than €203 and less than €1,462||€203|
|More than €1,462||Nil|
If you have any queries or need assistance registering for the scheme, please contact our COVID-19 Client Response Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +353 1 679 0800/+353 21 427 2900.